Saturday, January 28, 2023

color of the year

 behr's color of the year for 2023 is called blank canvas


i only know this because someone i know posted a scathing opinion about it on fb. i'm not typically inclined to pay any attention to such posts, but for some reason, i did. and then i sat and thought about my own reaction to the color.

i commented (in part):

"It's Zen garden sand before applying the rake. It's my journaling paper before I apply the ink. It's the color of Pausing before an action. It soothes a (potentially mistaken) sense of urgency. It is actively attending/waiting yet undemanding and not at all pushy."

my interpretation was scoffed at, and that bothered me. but it was on someone else's post, not my own, and continuing the comment thread seemed unlikely to change anyone's opinion, so i made it my personal header photo with this additional explanation:

"my word of intention for this year is "reflect" and what better color to reflect light than white?"

i was feeling somewhat defensive at the time. since time has passed, i find the whole thing mildly amusing.