Monday, April 6, 2020

walking

over the past several weeks while we have been at home, i have slowly persuaded ander to take a daily walk with me. just around the block, a little over 10 minutes long. at first he balked - it had been colder, or rainy, or windy, and he was resisting the idea of getting outside to have some semblance of exercise since the closing of tae kwon do and swimming and pe at school to keep his body moving. but over time, he has come to enjoy our little jaunts together - even coming to me to remind me of the time so that we could head out the door. we have a routine now, always the same path, always the same direction, always the same things to look for, including the basset hound and other dog at the across-the-street corner house. he indulges me when i point out something growing or a chalk message left on a sidewalk and stop to take a picture, i let him talk as much as he wants about whatever is on his mind at the moment. we don't move too quickly - i am slow and mindful to not exert myself, what with my (current) springtime allergies and (mild) asthma - and keep a comfortable pace.