Wednesday, January 1, 2014

embrace

embrace

according to merriam-webster, it means:

: to hold someone in your arms as a way of expressing love or friendship
: to accept (something or someone) readily or gladly
: to use (an opportunity) eagerly

my word for last year was release.  i enjoyed using that single word as a mantra, especially under times of great personal agitation or stress, and i think it helped me find calm.

at first glance, it might seem that the word i have selected (or actually, that came to me, unbidden, as i was going about my business a week or so ago) for 2014 is the antithesis to last year's, but it's really not.  the concepts can coexist peacefully in my mind.  as steve told me, "i do not need to release myself from release as i embrace embrace."  as in an oft-repeated version of the serenity prayer:
grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change,
the courage to change the things i can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
it feels right to me, this word.  to say it aloud is almost to hum, the sounds are soft and comforting.  i am fond of hugs - to say hello and goodbye, to share joy, to offer a connection when words cannot suffice.  i hug family, friends, strangers - anyone who is willing or wanting.  embrace is a physical and cognitive manifestation of compassion.  when i embrace you, i accept you as you are, for what you are, in the place that you are.

and that applies to me, too.  i begin with me.  i embrace who i am, what i am, where i am, how i am, why i am.  when i start there, extending outwards to others is rather easy and natural and self-energizing indeed.

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful word! May 2014 bring you reasons and opportunities to embrace! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, angie. wishing the same for you. <3

      Delete
  2. It goes beautifully with last year's word. A perfect compliment, I say. It's a powerful and gentle word. Inspiring : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. continuing to embrace you, my friend. <3

      Delete
  3. Love! Embrace is a biggie for me, part of my trust talk and the keys to trust post. I should do a separate post just on it : -). Miss you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, do! wishing the happiest to you all year long. <3

      Delete