Saturday, April 27, 2013

a year later, still happyer at home, in a new location

a headache in my sleep woke me in the very wee hours, but it's okay.

it's my first early morning in our new space.  all is quiet, except for familiar sounds of the bunny downstairs enjoying her nocturnal activities of chewing and tossing her new paper towel roll.  there are the occasional noises of air mattresses being moved upon as various family members groggily arise and make their way towards an unfamiliar bathroom, the light in which we left on like a beacon.  i noticed the floorboards and stairs creaking as i came down.  i am not disturbed by this, strangely. at least i know i will not run into anything in the dark, as we have yet to unload the truck and move in our furniture.

there are so many things i want to write about, but i have promised myself they will come in time.  right now i am pleased that i have a quite moment to myself to look at email and catch up with friends on facebook and let my faithful blog readers know that i am back.  re-entry into the blogosphere is a little rough, but i'm basically intact and i am giving myself time to get us settled in our physical space before i attend more fully to my virtual space.

april has been a particularly busy month for us. finally getting around to serious packing of household items, anticipating steve's arrival to get us ready for our cross-country move, diana's star testing, stealing as many moments to share with friends as we could possibly dare, knowing they would be our last with them before our departure.

on the ides of april, we waved goodbye to our belongings as they were driven away in a truck, tidied up the woodland, ca space where the kids and i lived for the past year, then loaded up people and animals and final minutiae into a rental minivan and started our travel adventure.

after ten days of driving with plenty of stops along the way, our family arrived in our new location of reston, va.  we did it.  we survived - nay, dare i say it, thrived - during the trip from sea to shining sea.

i also recognized the first anniversary of my blog creation.  no big fanfare or special post.  just me noticing and smiling to myself, pleased at what i have done, excited to continue.

a thoughtful friend sent me an email in the midst of all this. she said that i came to her mind, making my home where i am, calm and welcoming, even in a minivan on the road.  it brought tears to my eyes.  she knows what i strive to do, looks past my many missteps, sees what i do accomplish, and reminds me in an ever-so-gentle way that, even when all i can see is my failures, i still am successful in providing a sense of home to my family, wherever we are. i cherish her sentiments and am strengthened by them.

so, here i am, a year later, in a new space, still happyer at home, because i make it and take it with me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Home and blogaversary! So nice to be able to keep in touch this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your new home & happy blogiversary! :)

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete