Tuesday, March 5, 2013

in love with the brain

my best friend in graduate school was a clinical neuropsychologist.  studying industrial/organizational psychology myself, she and i found many, many ways in which our studies could compliment each others' - the statistical rigor of my program allowed me to guide her through some of the more complex analyses in her work - and she gave me valuable insight into one of the most curious and fascinating of all systems, the human brain.  we also studied core classes together, preparing each other for exams while we walked around the track for our daily exercise.

she's been incredibly helpful through the years since we completed our degrees and moved on.  she was the one i contacted first when i was seeing signs of dementia in a relative, and i think her suggestions were the most useful of any we received as my grandmother progressed into alzheimer's.

she gave me comprehensible interpretations of test results and reassured me about having realistic expectations when i suffered from some post-pregnancy neurological anomalies.

she's also amused me the most when it comes to the brain, making those unnervingly-realistic-looking organs using jello and a special mold.

so i tend to get pretty tuned in and turned on when things come across my path regarding brain research, especially regarding anomalies.  but not only those; just reading or hearing about the process of memory, or the connections between and among different areas that make up speech, right-brain vs. left-brain thinking, anything about how we are wired and what use we can make of that captures my interest.

imagine, then, my excitement on hearing about computer games that can contribute to research about the brain!

to read what got my attention in the car this morning, go here.

or watch this:


or, you could just go straight to eyewire or foldit.

No comments:

Post a Comment